May5

EVERYONE: There was a union/Of heart and mind/The likes of which are rare/And, oh, so hard to find (Flowering Love 2024)

The wedding of one Wallace, Steven, and Winona.

There are lots of silly little headcanons in this one.

Special thanks to @System Error for alpha reading, and @Catz and @Cavespider_17 for beta reading.

Content Warnings: there is light angst and implied sexual content, if you really squint.

Katy,

I hope this letter finds you in good health and good spirits. I miss you terribly, and although we are connected by letters and the marvels of modern technology, nothing can compare to sitting at your café and talking over a plate of freshly baked baklava. I can ask you many things over these great distances, but there are some moments when I need that advice in person, with a warm cup of tea and a hug.

I’m not sure how to write this out in words, but I suppose I should get to the point. I’m getting married, and I want you to be there, as the mother of the nearlywed. I understand I’m asking a lot of you with this. I have my former master Juan, but it would feel disingenuous to not invite you, as well.

Should this request be difficult or impossible to honour, I understand.

Earth, Sea, and Sky, in Harmony,

Wallace

-

“Are there enough seats?”

(“Yes. In fact, there are exactly 17 extra chairs.”)

Steven paced around his room, Metagross following him with its eyes as it tried to telekinetically put Steven’s pink vest on. Steven was, however unintentionally, not cooperating.

It was rare that it saw Steven this… openly nervous. Usually, he was able to at least keep the appearance of a level head, compared to Wallace or even Winona. In fairness, it was reasonable for Steven to be nervous: in about an hour, he would be heading to Lilycove Beach to get married.

The legal part of marriage (or rather, the “going across different regions to exploit the legal loophole that allowed polygamy” part of marriage) was already taken care of, so technically Steven, Winona, and Wallace were married. But marriage wasn’t just a legal matter. It was a sacred promise to be with the one you loved for the rest of your life, and something like a simple document didn’t truly convey the weight of that promise.

“Is dad there yet?” Steven persisted. “Does he look okay? Does he seem annoyed or mad or sad or sick or anything?”

(“Your father is in good health. And you have already asked this before. Three times.”) Metagross’s eyes were as stoic as ever. However eccentric Steven could be, it never lost its temper with him. Outside of battle, it seemed more like a stone statue at times.

Steven sighed, shaking his head and smiling. “Can you really blame me? The last thing I need right now is something going horribly wrong.”

(“There is a very small chance of something going wrong.”)

“There are so many things that could go wrong!” Steven snapped. “Dad could have a heart attack, Winona could be sick, Wallace could have a number of health scares, it could rain and we could get struck by lightning—”

(“Groudon and Kyogre could awaken and ruin your plans.”)

“Exactly!”

A pause. (“I said that in a sarcastic manner, as you humans do when a person is being irrational. It is unlikely something bad will happen.”)

“How unlikely?”

(“It is hard to put a numerical value on the future, but I would calculate… there is about a 9.47% chance that something bad will happen.”)

Steven’s eyes widened. “Almost ten percent?!”

There was a knock at the door, stopping Steven in his tracks long enough for Metagross to put the vest on him.

“Oh shoot,” Steven whispered. “It better not be dad picking me up already.”

Before Metagross could put the white long coat on him, Steven walked over to open the door. Joseph wasn’t there; instead, there was a… familiar-ish woman, with curly, mint green hair and a simple, pale purple tea dress, like a Cascoon.

“Hello!” she greeted with a wave. “You must be Steven. I don’t think we’ve ever met in person. I think Wallace has only shown me pictures of you.”

Oh! “Katy, was it?” Steven asked. The Paldean Gym Leader. Wallace’s former host family. Wallace’s…

…Well, it was hard to find a word for it. Wallace had been twenty, off in Paldea as an exchange student, when he met Katy. To say she saved him… maybe it was an understatement. Maybe it was an overstatement.

“I can call you Wallace’s mother, can I? They call you mom when talking about you. Or Mamá, specifically.”

Katy nodded. “Well, soon I’ll be your mother-in-law. You can call me mom, too.”

Steven swallowed. “Can I, uh, still call you Katy? My mom… um…”

He didn’t have to continue, because Katy, with a sad smile, nodded and said, “I understand.”

She spread out her arms, an opening for Steven to hug her.

“Thank you,” Steven gasped out, “for… being there for Wallace. I don’t know where they would be without you, if they even… How can I ever repay you?”

“You don’t have to worry about that, dear. Wallace already did that by granting me my wish.”

“Your wish?”

“Getting to be a mother.”

-

“You would like Fortree City, then. There’s all sorts of bugs and Bug types… and sometimes they crawl through your window.”

Winona shook her head, shivering, and Katy laughed playfully.

“I’m sure they just want to be friends!” Katy said.

Aurora gently tossed the uchikake onto Winona, adjusting it with her beak and cloudlike wings. The outer robe was made of shimmering black silk, with gold designs of Rayquaza’s scales and of other Pokémon: Gyarados for strength and peace, Skarmory for longevity, Togekiss for happiness. Winona had explained the symbolism to Katy while doing her makeup. Katy knew some of the important Pokémon in Sootopolitan culture: there were the main three deities, there was Azumarill for fertility, Bidoof for resilience… but Hoennian and Hinode symbolism was fairly unfamiliar to her.

Winona had gone for simple, natural makeup and pinkish-red lipstick. She had a refined air to her: straight posture, graceful and flowing hand movements, like a Tranquill.

“I can’t wait for you to meet Bugsy,” Winona sighed. “He’ll finally have a family member who loves Bug types as much as he does.”

“Besides your siblings and Steven’s father, is anyone else going to be at the wedding?”

“Wallace’s sister, and her daughter and husband. Our Pokémon, too. And Juan. Do you know him?”

“The name rings a bell. I’d say maybe… twenty years ago? He was a prominent performer in Paldea. Wallace mentioned him too. As a mentor or…” It struck Katy. “They mentioned he was like a father figure.” She chuckled. “I’m not going to have to marry him, am I?”

Winona shook her head with a smile. “Well, he’s gay, so I hope you don’t.”

Katy hid another chuckle with her hand. “We just have to be good friends, then.”

“You’re fine being a… grandmother too, are you?”

Katy’s eyes widened. “You’re pregnant?”

Winona laughed. “I wish.” She sighed, a little more wistful. “But no, not yet. Maybe soon.”

She looked down, holding her hands to her stomach. “It would be… It would be nice to carry a child, feel a life growing in me, and then having—having a baby in my arms, a beautiful miracle. Isn’t life just a miraculous thing? That life creates life, that everything in nature, big and small, is connected?”

Aurora hummed something, and Winona chuckled. “No, not laying eggs. I can’t do that, Aurora.”

The Altaria chirped in surprise.

“Well… carrying a child in the womb, that’s sort of like an egg, but in the body. Birds and Pokémon lay eggs, but humans give birth to live young. They’re… what’s the word?.... viviparous.”

Aurora hummed some more. Winona stroked the bird’s long neck, but…

“Winona? Is something wrong?”

“Do you think I’ll be able to do it?”

Katy cocked her head. “Do what?”

“Be a mother, while being a Gym Leader. Being a Trainer, being a leader for Fortree City and Hoenn and… I can’t give that up. But carrying a child, raising a child, even just one, that’s a huge commitment, too.”

Katy nodded in understanding. “It is a huge commitment, yes. And so is being a Trainer. I don’t think you’re the first to worry about that, and you certainly won’t be the last.” She smiled. “But what I can say is that you have two wonderful partners who will help you be whatever you want, be it a Trainer or a parent or both. And you’re lucky to have two. Plenty of people only have one.”

At that, Winona laughed, covering her mouth with a hand to try and stifle it.

“Well, Altaria usually have three other partners… and even then, it’s not just the parents raising the child.”

“That is true.” Katy winked. “So if you need someone who can make the kids good pastries… I can’t say I’ll always be there, but I can at least teach you a recipe or two.”

-

Putting on a dress was something that should have felt familiar to Wallace, but even after years of finally being comfortable wearing them again, it felt… strange. Not in a bad way, perhaps he just still wasn’t used to it.

As a young child, he had been more than comfortable wearing them with his close family. But then came… everything, that time when he was forced back into the “male” box, when he had to fit a very strict standard of how to look and act.

He had worn them since leaving that dark time, but never in public, especially not for an occasion as sacred as a wedding.

But there was a simple joy in wearing a dress, especially this one.

A white dress with an empire waistline and bishop sleeves. Strings of shimmering pearls. First it had been his mother’s wedding dress, then it was his sister’s debutante dress, then her own wedding dress, and now it would be his wedding dress. Through the years, there had been adjustments and fixes made, but it was the same dress, and now he had the honour of wearing it.

He stared down at the ring on his finger. A silver band, with a Keystone shining in rainbow colours. Of course Steven would propose to him and Winona with Keystones. In his words, other rocks had special meanings, but none could convey just how strong his devotion to Wallace and Winona was like one of the rarest and most powerful stones could.

It was… hard to believe that it was happening. It was actually happening. Wallace was getting married.

Victoria rested her head on Wallace’s. The Milotic was beaming a big smile at the mirror, which only made Wallace even happier.

“How are those two?” Wallace asked.

(“I can’t tell you.”) Victoria chuckled playfully. (“You’ll see them soon enough. And besides, I’ve barely seen them today. I’ve been working on the wedding nest.”)

(“But what you have seen of them, how were they?”)

Victoria sighed with resigned pleasure. (“You’ll be very happy to see them, that I can say.”)

She stretched over Wallace and picked up a makeup case with her tailfins, specifically his lipstick case. (“But you can’t see them if you don’t get ready!”)

Someone knocked on the door. Victoria slithered over to open it. It was probably just Nicole checking in on Wallace, or Lisia coming to tease him, or…

…or Katy.

Even if Wallace could speak, what would he say?

“You… you came.”

Katy nodded. “How could I not come to my child’s wedding?”

Child. That word felt strange. Not because Wallace was twenty-two and therefore not technically a child, but because of the implication.

“So… it’s official,” he said, hesitant, as though he was still processing what he was saying. “We’re mother and child now.”

-

Lilycove City, where the land, sea and sky met as one.

Gentle waves swelled up every so often, leaving the sand behind to shimmer in the sunlight. It was the perfect day, the perfect setting for a wedding.

The three stood together, with Juan as their officiant. The rest of the guests were seated around them. Winona’s smile was bright as the clouds above, glowing in the sunlight. Wallace was looking down, but it was clear from his expression that it was out of excitement, or a desire to not cry. Steven, however, was having a very hard time keeping back tears, tears of happiness, granted, but it was rare for him to ever cry.

“To the family and friends of our honourable three, welcome. To the gods and heavens above, welcome. It is a wonderful thing, when we can come together to celebrate the beauty that is love. Such a wonderful thing, when souls can find each other and form a kindred bond.”

Juan looked over at Wallace. “I got to see Wallace grow from a child into the wonderful adult he is today, but in many ways, I also got to see Steven and Winona grow alongside him. When they met, they were all on at the start of a new chapter, as students in college, as Trainers, as members of the Hoenn League. They are each others’ greatest friends, each others’ closest confidants, each others’ most trusted allies. It’s only natural, then, that they would also be each others’ most perfect lovers.”

Juan looked down at his feet, where a little Azurill was standing patiently with a cushion carrying a string of pearls and three rings. He knelt down to take the pearls and rings, and the Azurill jumped with glee, though his excitement was very close to sending the pearls and rings flying.

“And now,” Juan said, once Azurill had calmed down enough so that nothing was at risk anymore, “we are witness to this bond of friendship and love being solidified, so that these three may be recognized as husband, wife and spouse in the eyes of the heavens and the world.”

Three silver rings, the ruby one for the land, the sapphire one for the sea, the emerald one for the sky. The string of pearls in a loop, so it could surround the three, so the vows would be heard by the highest of the heavens.

Lokásoúvia, Kardiá tou Margaritarioú, may you bless the vows of the three, so that they can speak with honesty and devotion.”

Winona took the ring with the emerald and held it to her heart, looking up to the sky.

“I, Winona, take you two to be my partners. I will do everything in my power to make our lives as wonderful, beautiful, and fulfilling as possible. I will be as honest, generous, respectful, and trusting as I can be, and I will always push forward to make the best of my honesty, generosity, respect, and trust ever better.”

Steven took the ring with the ruby, and he spoke as he looked up at his spouses-to-be.

“I, Steven, take you to be my wife and my spouse. I promise to be your granite, supporting the foundations of our family. I promise to be your iron, ready to help with anything and everything. I promise to be your opalite, shining in a million colours and roles and emotions. For now and forever.”

Wallace took the ring with the sapphire, closing their eyes, breathing in.

“I, Wallace, take you both in holy matrimony. I will protect you both, support you both, uplift you both, cherish you both in this world and the next. I will stick to you both through success and setbacks, wellness and sickness, celebration and grief. I will be the best partner I can be, so I can help you be the best partners.”

A simple ring could hold so much meaning. A simple ring could bind people together, a physical manifestation of their lifelong bond.

“By the power bestowed upon me,” Juan said, “I now pronounce you husband, wife, and spouse. You may now kiss.”

-

The house was like a hearth, warm and bright and welcoming. The dining room was alive with the sound of conversation and the smell of all sorts of food.

“Nicole, your lemon miso is absolutely wonderful!” Katy beamed. “It’s the best I’ve ever had!”

“Oh stop now,” Nicole blushed and shook her head, smiling. “It’s nothing special.”

Katy beamed. “It’s special because you made it with love. I can tell just by tasting it.”

“Well, I suppose I did.”

Nicole looked across the table at Wallace, who was talking to Steven and Winona about… rocks. Well, it was nice that some things wouldn’t change with marriage.

“You three!” Lisia called to them. “Smile for the camera!”

The girl was carrying an instant camera around the table, taking pictures of everything and everyone for, as she put it, “a scrapbook to store all these happy memories”. Based on how many she was taking, she’d probably need some scrapbooks, rather than just a scrapbook.

“...I’m going to need to get new shelves for my rocks,” Steven said.

“You’re not getting any shelves without me,” Wallace replied, a small chuckle in his voice. “I’m not living in a home that doesn’t have good colour coordination.”

“We’re not putting rocks in the nursery, are we?” Winona asked.

Speaking of new houses… Katy had something for the three.

-

“Katy, I… Thank you. What’s inside?”

The three newlyweds were sitting on the sofa, and Katy stood in front of them, handing Wallace a box wrapped in matcha-green wrapping paper and white ribbon.

“You’ll just have to see!” Katy hummed. “Why don’t you open it while I get you the other gifts?”

“...Other?” Steven said.

But Katy was already off, going over to the garage where she had put a pile of boxes. She took the lighter ones and went back. By the time she came back, the three had opened the present. Inside was a lovely set of measuring cups and spoons in shades of blue.

“Katy, this—”

“I have just a few more things,” Katy said as she put the boxes in Wallace's arms.

She came back with the mixer’s box as they were opening the box of cutting boards, pans, mixers, the egg beater, pastry brushes, and spatulas, which matched the cups and spoons. Everything matched; the perfect start for a family foundation!

“How many boxes are there?” Winona asked as Katy handed her the box—Wallace’s hands were occupied with the pans.

“Honey, I won’t let my child go without the essentials for baking! How can you possibly start a family without even a tray for cookies?”

“Well,” Wallace said, “we have some of the essentials… or we borrow them from my sister, at least.”

Katy shook her head playfully. “Now you have your own. And they match so nicely. I’m expecting you to make great pastries now that you have the tools. Now let me get the other three boxes.”

“What else do you have?!” Winona chuckled.

“There’s the blender, the food processor, the blow torch, the sifter—”

“BLOW TORCH?!?!”

Winona burst out laughing at Wallace’s shout, leaning against his shoulder and shaking his arm. Steven smiled and ruffled Wallace’s hair.

“You certainly chose an interesting woman to be your mother, love.”

-

For the first time in years, Winona didn’t wake up with the sun.

It was noon when she finally woke up, or at least realised she had been awake. Sunlight was streaming into the bedroom. Wallace’s arm was around her waist, and Steven’s was under her back.

She smiled, letting herself take in the feeling of being with her boy—husband, husband and spouse. There was stuff to do, like moving from Nicole’s home to their new house… their own house, their own house where they would start a new life, start a family.

But for now, she just took in the fact that she was married, took in the fact that she was with her two spouses, happy, content.
Written by Welkamo