Aug28

Event Special Event NOT MAFIA Game: Am I Mafia (a No Effort Mafia Spinoff) - [Pre-Game]

I had a bright idea recently to run a mafia game. Unfortunately, running a mafia game involves finding players to play in said mafia game. In my recent EIMM, I had about 10% of actions turn out to be inactive/non-submits (as in, people either didn't submit an action, or they just AFK'd so hard that I had to modkill them). Since I want a game in which nobody AFKs and it has a 0% chance of non-submit, I said screw it; I'll just host my own mafia game and do whatever I want with it.

So how about this:

This is a game, where you find out if you're mafia or not, when you flip. All you have to do, is join the game. If that's too much effort for you, or if you're incapable of fulfilling this requirement, then mafia isn't for you (right now at least).

This requires less effort than even the critically acclaimed Bulbagarden No Effort Mafia (which I won by doing nothing, btw), which was shamelessly ripped from my home forum of Serenes Forest's No Effort Mafia which is famous for having so little effort that our host quit hosting it about halfway thru and the game remains yet in a standstill vote-off since 2016, which was also shamelessly ripped from the granddaddy of all mafia forums, Mafiascum which I didn't bother to look up the source material of this game from.

And thus, Am I Mafia, a game that is 100% not mafia, was born

So, what's the scoop? In Am I Mafia, you sign up, then wait for the game to happen with you in it. Eventually, it will be revealed if you are in fact, mafia. What if you're not mafia? Well, then you're something else.

What's the gameplay gimmick? You sign up to the game and don't actually have to play.

But Elieson, if we're not actually playing in the game, then are there any rules? Eh sure, I have a few. This isn't my own forum after all. I ain't got the money to host my own, and I don't want you ruining the fun for anyone else or the people that own this one.

Click below, to reveal the rules and mechanics of this game, because they're shrouded in mystery!

They're really not, I just wanted an excuse to use the ISPOILER feature.
  1. General Bulbagarden Forum Rules and general War Room Rules apply with regards to etiquette and sportsmanship.
  2. You'll get a role PM mostly for your own amusement.
    1. If you have information revealed to you in your RolePM, you can post that publically. It won't change things, but it might spoil a little bit of why and how things occur.
    2. Screenshots are normally not allowed on Bulbagarden, so I'll maintain that here, so people don't learn bad habits.
  3. There will be a graveyard, and information will be revealed in it. Please don't share information that comes from anything posted by a Host/M.O.D.
  4. Day and night phases are run as normal mechanically (48/24 hour phases).
    1. During Day Phases; Each player-slot will vote, if capable. Votal updates will occur over regular intervals until someone is lynched.
      1. You don't have to vote. If you vote, your vote will be ignored.
      2. MYLO/LYLO may be announced.
    2. During Night Phases; Night actions (if any) will process based on the whims of the player-slots.
      1. If you submit an action, your action submission will be ignored.
      2. If you submit an action for your partner, that will be ignored.
      3. I have a fully functionally built engine that will perform night actions for all player-slots.
  5. You may talk in thread any any point unless I declare a PHASE PAUSE, in which the thread should be kept quiet so as not to interrupt things coming from a host/mod.
    1. Aside from PHASE PAUSE instances, you can post in thread and out of thread during the game all you want, even if/when you're dead. I don't care. It's not like you're playing or anything.
  6. I don't wanna host a game with only 6 signups, meaning that I'll accept signups in batches of 12, 18 or 24. No more, No less.
  7. This game is basically a last-man-standing kind of game, because all factions are 2-person (well, 1-person + 1-"buddy") teams.
    1. If you die, but your teammate survives, then you win.
    2. It is possible for every player to lose, and therefore, it is possible for nobody to win. This is incredibly unlikely, but it is possible.
  8. Signups will involve increments of 6 (beyond 6, per above), and each player signing up, will be signing up twice.
    1. You can think of these, as your trusted bonafide teammate.
    2. When you sign up, this means that you can sign up as yourself, and also, with an alias or another non-player. This can be any alias or non-player, but duplicate entrants will not be accounted for.
      1. Please submit with your signup post, a png or jpg photo of your alias. I'll be using them, along with yours (which you don't need to re-post) in flips and/or at game end.
      2. Example signup posts:
        1. [This would be Player Slots 1 & 2]: Sign me (Elieson) up, with my buddy Manectrical Escavalier .
        2. [This would be Player Slots 3 & 4]: I'll (Maniacal Engineer) join as well. Please assign my partner as Elly-sen
        3. [This would not be allowed, given prior signups]: /in (DawningWinds) with Manectrical Escavalier as my other half.
    3. If you change your username mid-game, please state your old and new ones in-thread and mention the host.
      1. Don't change to another pre-existing user/alias for the sake of this game. It's annoying and my engine won't like it too much.
  9. Hosts, M.O.D.s, and nonplayers are not involved in any way.
  10. Rules are subject to change. The host will make sure to mention you if that happens.
  11. Flavor will come as it comes, generally with phase-end/start posts only.
    1. If you're not happy with the outcome of something, sorry.
    2. At the end of the game, I will reveal my engine so that you too, can do something like this, either in Discord, in a Forum post, with yourself, with your IRL friends, with your cat, etc.

And with that, allow me to summarize what you need to do if you want to join.

Game requires 12, 18 or 24 actual players to sign up, (not including their buddies).
  1. Post that you're joining.
  2. In your post, provide to me, the name of your "partner", who will be teammate but will serve as an allied noncontrollable NPC as far as the mechanics of the game goes.
  3. Give me a photo to use for them, serving as a Profile Picture much like yours.
If you want to sign up with a /in, I'll allow it, but it will not actually count until you include a partner/buddy/alias and a photo for them. You can /in as a placeholder, which will at least convey to me that you're joining.

Prepare for the laziest game you've ever not played.

1. Quasar_Catfish
    1. Shiny Rowlet
  2. Pigrider09
    1. Side-eye Grinch Pillow
  3. JamieIsBored
    1. FormerLamp
  4. mastermind lissi
    1. maya fey figure
  5. toastghost
    1. friend's sableye drawing
  6. Handium
    1. Chili