May1

Report commissioned by French government recommends children be banned from social media until 18 to protect them from tech industry monetization

The Guardian said:
Children should not be allowed to use smartphones until they are 13 and should be banned from accessing conventional social media such as TikTok, Instagram and Snapchat until they are 18, according to a report by experts commissioned by Emmanuel Macron.

The French president had asked scientists and experts to suggest screen use guidelines for children with a view to France taking unprecedented steps on limiting their exposure. It was unclear how the government might now proceed after the report’s publication. Macron said in January: “There might be bans, there might be restrictions.”

The hard-hitting report said children needed to be protected from the tech industry’s profit-driven “strategy of capturing children’s attention, using all forms of cognitive bias to shut children away on their screens, control them, re-engage them and monetise them”.

Children were becoming “merchandise” in this new tech market, the report said, adding: “We want [the industry] to know we’ve seen what they’re doing and we won’t let them get away with it.”

Normally when you see these kinds of recommendations being made, it's (at least ostensibly) about health and well-being of youth having lots of screen time. Some of which is justified, but some of which can be a bit silly, reminding me of parents worried their kids were listening to too much Rock & Roll. This is a very different take on things though, and one that I can get behind to some extent, as someone who did a PhD on privacy. Mind you, banning kids from these things seems like you're going after the victims to some extent. I'd much rather see stronger regulation on the companies themselves, that prevents them from exploiting children and their data. Heck, why limit it to just children. Adults are just as vulnerable. The mechanism of addiction isn't the same as with something like nicotine, but social media is intentionally designed right now to be psychologically addictive, and it should go without saying that this widespread addiction is not a good thing for society in general.
Written by Archaic