Apr14

Music MikuExpo 2024

Did anyone here go, or is anyone here keeping up with the ‘controversy’ going on?

To make a long story short as any typical miku fan, I was elated when Miku Expo started coming to NA, even more so when I finally moved to an area that allowed me to go! I bought tickets (and got good seats!) for the first time to see Miku Expo back in 2020, unfortunately right when covid happened. Thus, my money was refunded and no Miku Expo took place that year, nor did it properly take place in 2022 (was a recap montage) and 2023 (a VR concert).

This year marks the first year Miku is finally back on stage properly since covid, and I did not know that the year I bought (and was refunded) my ticket was possibly the last year Miku would be in her well-known holographic state. Jrharbort, a writer of the Mikufan site, provides the TLDR of the uproar going on.

For anyone who doesn’t feel like link clicking, the short of it? Crypton and Crunchyroll (their partner for Miku Expo since Covid year) have decided running Miku on her holographic pane of glass is too financially straining to be going forward in the states. Until she reaches Japan again for touring, it’s unknown whether the ‘miku tv screen’ will become the norm just for NA or as a whole… either way, I’m deeply saddened to hear that not only was my shot at seeing Miku totaled by covid, but now possibly unachievable to witness in her purest form.

I also think it wasn’t great for Crypton to not tell attendees this until they witnessed it themselves… Shelling out 500 dollars to see Miku in an undecorated box I wasn’t made aware of doesn’t sit well with me.

So! With that rundown, anyone here go? What did you think of ‘miku in a box’? Even if you didn’t go, how do you feel about this? While I’m personally afraid this may be how she tours in NA and Europe going forward, I at least hope Japan gets to keep holo-miku. I’d be pretty sad if they retired that tech for her entirely.
Archaic Written by Blanc