A Mega Update to Mega Evolution in Pokémon GO is now live in Australia and New Zealand; to be made available globally in near future
Mega Evolve your Pokémon from raid and battle prep screens
Previously, the Mega Evolve option was only available through the Pokémon's individual information screen. Players will now also Mega Evolve their Pokémon from either the raid or battle prep screens. This will allow players to enjoy Mega Evolving their Pokémon in battles with more flexibility and spontaneity.
Most Mega Raids will be easier
Following feedback from players that Mega Raids were more difficult than exciting, the difficulty of Mega Raids has been adjusted to create a balance between challenging and fun. Most Mega Raids will now be easier, and can be cleared with fewer people.
A new feature known as Mega Levels is being introduced. Every time a Pokémon is Mega Evolved, it will increase the Pokémon's Mega Level. More bonuses will be available every time a Pokémon's Mega Level goes up, and these bonuses will stay active while the Pokémon is Mega Evolved. Each Mega Level grants various bonuses, with the specific bonuses varying by Pokémon. Trainers who have Mega Evolved their Pokémon in the past can now also Mega Evolve them without using Mega Energy, and will have access to the first set of the Mega Level bonuses.
- Increased Candy when Pokémon that are the same type as the Mega-Evolved Pokémon are caught.
- While attacking with a Mega-Evolved Pokémon in a Raid Battle or a Gym battle, the attacks of other Trainers' Pokémon in the same raid or Gym will deal more damage. Their Pokémon's attacks will deal even more damage if the attack is the same type as the players' Mega-Evolved Pokémon.
- Increased chance of earning Candy XL when Pokémon that are the same type as the Mega-Evolved Pokémon are caught.
- Increased XP for catching Pokémon that are the same type as the Mega-Evolved Pokémon.
- A Pokémon's rest period decreases as its Mega Level increases.
After a Pokémon Mega Evolves for the first time, no Mega Energy will be required to Mega Evolve that same Pokémon again. A Pokémon will be fatigued after Mega Evolving, and need time before it can Mega Evolve again. Once this rest period is over, that Pokémon can Mega Evolve again without using Mega Energy. Mega Energy can also be used to decrease a Pokémon's rest period. The Mega Energy required to Mega Evolve a Pokémon will decrease as the Pokémon's rest period becomes shorter.
Pokémon that have Mega Evolved before will now have an additional visual effect added to their information page to commemorate this momentous achievement.
Kangaskhan has been teased to be added as a Pokémon that will be able to Mega Evolve in Pokémon GO in the near future.